""

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Mrs. Maguire's Garden is in bloom!

Mrs. Maguire's Garden is taking shape. But I gotta tell you-this DMC floss is giving me an extreme headache. I changed the flowers to Ecru because the charted color did not show up at all on my dyed fabric, and the floss is probably 10-15 years old, no kidding. It was soft, silky, and I was able to use the one loop method for starting and each side of the floss laid really nicely, side by side, without any issues at all. The brown I'm using is the called for DMC #869 and the quality is just awful. Using the one loop method leaves me with one SUPER twisty strand, and one thin weak strand. It's the strangest thing. I compared the two flosses together and the new floss is twisted so much tighter than the old floss. Weird.

When I use the two strand starting method, it was a TAD better, but not much. There are areas of dull, fuzzy floss, and it's just not consistent at all. I think I'm going to have to look into replacing some of this new DMC with another brand. Not this go round, but maybe next time I'll just use a conversion to something else for my entire project and see how it goes. And I'm telling you, this 14 count fabric, is not what I remember 14 count to be. At all. OK, that's plenty of complaining for now! Here she is so far.


The fabric is showing quite a bit lighter than it actually is. This is because I am lazy and don't want to take it outdoors (literally 5 feet from me).  ;)

So, there I am for now! Just a quick progress update. I hope everyone is enjoying Spring. It's been crazy weather here in VA with snow one week and 90 degrees the next. UGH!

8 comments:

  1. Mrs. Maguire's Garden is looking good, Tammy. I am sorry the floss isn't behaving. You might try stitching with shorter lengths of floss. Thread Heaven (if you have it) or beeswax might help. I totally agree with you on the weird weather here in Virginia. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally right about our VA weather. Last weekend we had snow flurries while at the Nats game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress.
    We had 2 days of 50 degree weather here in WI, now we are back to snow almost everyday! Weird weather!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so ready for the cold to go away! Thank you Marilyn!

      Delete
  4. Great progress on this lovely project. But sorry that neither the floss nor the fabric is much to your liking. I have had all this as well in the past. But what I dislike most about DMC is the fact that some numbers aren't the same colour when you compare an older skein to a newer one. And I have heard this from other stitchers as well. Maybe you should try a different floss brand next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Brigitte! YES! I am thinking of trying Sullivan's next time. Don't know if it'll be any different, but I might give them a shot. They also list the DMC equivalent on each skein, which I thought was interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much! I appreciate all stitchy comments!